Staring at a blank screen, or an empty spreadsheet, trying to will ourselves to be productive.
But sometimes, no matter how badly we want to get work done, we just can’t seem to focus.
If you’re struggling to increase your productivity, you’re in luck.
I’m here to share the 12 simple ways I’ve found to boost my productivity at work.
Maybe they’ll give you the motivation you need to power through your next project too.
Productivity is about being efficient with your time, workspace, and energy.
If you want to be productive, you need to use your time wisely, create an organized and efficient workspace, and have the physical and mental energy to get things done.
1. Use your time wisely
One of the most important ways to boost your productivity is to use your time wisely. That means being mindful of how you spend your time and making sure that you’re using it in the most effective way possible.
I use a journal to track my time and tasks amongst other things 🙂
5 Ways to use your time wisely
1. Set aside time for specific tasks
When you have a task that needs to be done, set aside a specific amount of time to work on it. This will help you to stay focused and prevent you from getting sidetracked.
2. Break up your day
Don’t try to cram everything into one long block of time. Instead, break up your day into smaller chunks and take breaks in between. This will help you to avoid burnout and stay fresh.
The Pomodoro Technique
The Pomodoro Technique is a time management method that can be used to boost your productivity. This technique is based on the principle that if you break down your work into smaller chunks, you can get more done in less time.
Here’s how it works:
- Choose a task to work on.
- Set a timer for 25 minutes and work on the task until the timer goes off.
- Take a 5-minute break.
- Repeat this process until the task is complete.
The Pomodoro Technique is a great way to boost your productivity by breaking down your work into smaller chunks. So, try using this technique today and see how it can help you to get more done.
3. Plan ahead
One of the best ways to use your time wisely is to plan ahead. You can use a planner, or journal or store it electronically on a computer or app.
This way, you can make sure that you’re always working on the most important tasks and that you have a clear idea of what needs to be done.
1-3-5 rule technique
One of the best ways to boost your productivity is to follow the 1-3-5 rule. This means focusing on one task, three tasks, or five tasks each day.
The 1-3-5 rule is a great way to simplify your to-do list and make sure that you’re always working on the most important tasks. By following this rule, you can increase your productivity and get more done in less time.
Here’s how it works:
- Choose one task to focus on each day. This should be a task that is important and that you can complete within a day.
- Choose three tasks to work on each day. These should be tasks that are important but that may take a little longer to complete.
- Choose five tasks to work on each week. These can be tasks that are less important or that you can spread out over a longer period of time.
By following the 1-3-5 rule, you can simplify your to-do list and make sure that you’re always working on the most important tasks. So, start using this rule today and see how it can help you to boost your productivity.
4. Set Goals
One of the best ways to boost your productivity is to set goals. When you have a goal in mind, it’s easier to stay focused and work towards something.
So, take some time to set some goals for yourself, and see how it can help you to boost your productivity.
You can use SMART goals:
- Specific: The goal should be specific and clearly defined.
- Measurable: The goal should be something that can be measured so that you know when you’ve achieved it.
- Achievable: The goal should be achievable and realistic.
- Relevant: The goal should be relevant to your overall objectives.
- Time-bound: The goal should have a deadline so that you can stay on track.
By setting goals, you can focus on what you need to do and stay motivated to get it done. So, start setting some goals for yourself today and see how they can help you to boost your productivity.
5. Delegate and ask for help
In order to be productive, you need to know when to delegate and ask for help.
This means knowing your strengths and weaknesses and being willing to let others take on tasks that you’re not good at.
It can be difficult to delegate and ask for help, but it’s important to remember that you can’t do everything yourself.
So, if you want to be productive, you need to learn to let go and trust others to help you.
2. Create an organized and efficient workspace
Another important way to boost your productivity is to create an organized and efficient workspace. This means having a place for everything and knowing where everything is. It also means taking the time to set up your workspace in a way that works best for you.
4 things to keep in mind when creating an organized workspace
A cluttered workspace can be a major distraction. So, take the time to declutter and get rid of anything that you don’t need.
2. Focus on your workflow
Think about how you work and what you need in order to be productive. Then, set up your workspace accordingly.
3. Make it your own
Personalize your workspace so that it reflects your personality and style. This will help you to feel more comfortable and motivated in your space.
4. Go To a cafe
If you are traveling, another option is to go to a cafe.
3. Have the physical and mental energy to get things done
In order to be productive, you need to have the physical and mental energy to get things done. That means taking care of yourself and making sure that you’re in a good place mentally and physically.
3 things that you can do to boost your energy levels
1. Get enough sleep
A lack of sleep can make it difficult to concentrate and focus on tasks. So, make sure that you’re getting enough sleep each night.
2. Eat healthy
Eating a nutritious diet will give you the energy that you need to power through your day.
3. Take breaks
When you’re feeling overwhelmed or burned out, take a break. Step away from your work and take some time for yourself. Then, you can come back refreshed and ready to focus.
Benefits of taking breaks for productivity:
- Taking breaks helps to relieve stress and tension. When you’re feeling stressed, it’s difficult to focus on your work. So, by taking a break, you can relieve some of the stress and tension that you’re feeling.
- Taking breaks helps to refresh your mind. When you take a break, you give your mind a chance to rest and rejuvenate. This can help you to come back to your work feeling refreshed and ready to focus.
- Taking breaks helps to increase your motivation. When you take a break, it can be easier to come back to your work with a fresh perspective and new ideas. This can help you to stay motivated and focused on your task.
So, if you want to boost your productivity, make sure to take breaks throughout the day. By taking some time to relax and rejuvenate, you can come back to your work feeling refreshed and ready to focus.
4. Listen to Music
This one may not work for everyone, but if you find that music helps you focus, don’t be afraid to put on headphones and tune out the world around you.
In fact, one study found that employees who listened to music while working were more productive than those who didn’t.
So if music helps increase your concentration, there’s no reason not to use it as a tool to boost your productivity.
If you want to be productive, you need to focus on the three basics of productivity: time, space, and energy.
By using your time wisely, creating an organized and efficient workspace, and having the physical and mental energy to get things done, you’ll be well on your way to boosting your productivity.
Which one are you working on?